Japan Entry from 3/1 - Ease of entry restrictions
Information as of 3:00JST,April 12th,2022.
Since the end of November last year, strict border measures remained in effect in response to concerns with the COVID-19 Omicron variant, however, for entry starting March 1, 2022, the Japanese government has officially announced the gradual ease of entry restrictions. In principle, the self-quarantine period will remain 7 days, but the self-quarantine period will be reduced for eligible travelers who have been fully vaccinated and have also received a booster shot (3rd shot).
Please see below for further details.
Ease of Japan Entry Restrictions (effective March 1, 2022)
>>> For a list of countries/regions that require stay at the accommodation facility, click here (Japanese page)
(*) Starting March 1 (00:00 am, Japan time), the U.S. is no longer a designated country
① Self-quarantine period upon arrival to Japan
>>>> Travelers entering Japan from countries/regions that are not subject to the measures and do not require stay at the accommodation facility
● Fully vaccinated and boosted (received a 3rd dose): no self-quarantine required
● Not fully vaccinated and boosted (received a 3rd dose): will be required to self-quarantine for 7 days after entering Japan, but if the test result is negative after the 3rd day, no further self-quarantine is required
>>>> Travelers entering Japan from countries/regions that are subject to the measures and require stay at the accommodation facility
● Fully vaccinated and boosted (received a 3rd dose): will be required to self-quarantine for 7 days after entering Japan, and if the test result is negative after the 3rd day, no further self-quarantine is required
● Not fully vaccinated and boosted (received a 3rd dose): will be required to quarantine at the accommodation facility for 3 days after entering Japan, and if the test result is negative after the 3rd day, no further quarantine is required
(( Points to Note ))
• Public transportation can be used to get to your location of self-quarantine even within 24 hours of entering Japan.
(Note) Due to recent increases in travelers entering Japan, quarantine procedures are taking longer than expected at airports in Japan. Please arrange transportation (domestic flights, trains) at least 5 hours after your arrival time.
• The testing method required in order to reduce the self-quarantine is PCR or antigen quantitative testing
• For vaccine certificates issued in countries other than Japan, the name, date of birth, vaccine name or manufacturer, vaccination date, and number of doses must be stated either in English or Japanese. Click here for other conditions for the vaccine certificate. (Japanese page)
• For countries/regions where a COVID variant other than Omicron is found to be dominant, the self-quarantine period will remain 14 days, but at present (as of 2/24) there are no designated countries/regions.
② For entry of non-Japanese foreign nationals - entry for purposes other than tourism are allowed
● Submitting an application from the party responsible is required. Please click here for details (you will be directed to the Japanese page).
The information found on this page is subject to change without prior notice. We recommend customers who plan on traveling to Japan to also confirm the latest requirements for entry into Japan.
April 12, 2022
All Nippon Airways, Co. Ltd.