on June 19th, 2020 (JST) current information.
Furthermore, the details under "Visa", "Passport" and "Note When you travel to the United States" are for Japanese nationals.
This information is likely to change suddenly, so please contact the relevant official authority (e.g., embassy) for the latest information.

Immigration and Visa


No visa is required for entering the US for tourism or business trips within ninety days, as long as you have a return ticket.


Although it is acceptable to have a passport that is valid until the date of departure, it is preferable to have one that is valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry.

Note When you travel to the United States


When using the visa waiver program to travel to or through (via) the U.S. without a visa by air or sea, you must obtain travel authorization from ESTA online (not possible on your phone). Do not forget this, as you may be refused boarding onto the plane or denied entry into the U.S. if you fail to obtain travel authorization from ESTA before your trip. When you obtain ESTA authorization, it is valid for two years and you can travel to the U.S. multiple times (you do not need to renew it every time you change your schedule or visit somewhere). The final permission for entry is given by the immigration inspector at the first port of entry.
Apply for and obtain travel authorization from ESTA soon after your plans to travel to the U.S. have been fixed. (It is strongly recommended that you complete the procedure at least 72 hours before leaving your country). You can no longer receive instant authorization after application, so it is best to complete the process early. The application can be made by a relative, travel agency (for a fee), or other third party.

ESTA term of validity

Generally 2 years. However, if your passport expires before the authorization term ends, your ESTA authorization also expires. You must also re-apply if your name or passport number changes.

ESTA registration fee

Fee: $14

Changes in the visa waiver program

According to 2015 changes in the visa waiver program and the enactment of the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act, individuals who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 cannot travel to the U.S. using the visa waiver program. Relevant travelers must apply for a visa using the regular method at the American Embassy. For more information, see the American Embassy visa waiver programpage.

  • Visa, passport, and other information is subject to change without notice. Be sure to check with the Embassy, Consulate, or travel agency.


When visiting from Japan, it is prohibited to bring the following items into Hawaii.

  • a. Fruit, vegetables, plants, seeds, food products, insects
  • b. Meat, animals, animal or wild animal products
  • c. Disease agents, cell cultures, snails
  • d. Soil
  • Meat refers to not only raw meat, but also includes cooked or processed meats such as ham and salami, curry, bouillon, soup mixes, and other products that contain meat extracts.


Bringing in e-cigarettes

The scope for tax exemption is 200 cigarettes, same as for regular cigarettes.

If you want to enter in less than 18 years of age

Children entering the country without both parents may be asked to present a consent form for the trip (in English) from their parents or the non-accompanying parent. For more information, inquire with the American Embassy.

For bringing and possession of tax-free cigarettes

Only a certain quantity of alcohol, tobacco, and perfume is duty free. The following numbers are per adult, so double the numbers for duty free quantities if you are traveling with another person. However, alcohol and tobacco products are not duty free for minors, so you will be taxed for products purchased under the name of children.

  • Alcohol: 3 bottles (of about 760 mL each)
  • Tobacco: 400 cigarettes, 20 packages of heat-not-burn tobacco, 100 cigars, 500 g of other tobacco products
  • Perfume: 2 ounces (1 ounce = about 28 mL)
  • Other: 200,000 yen (total amount of purchases exceeding 10,000 yen per unit)

Time difference and Daylight Saving Time

Time difference

There is a 19-hour time difference between Japan and Hawaii. Midnight in Japan is 5:00 in the early morning the day before in Hawaii. There is no daylight saving time.



The idea that Hawaii is the land of perpetual summer is not correct; although the temperature does not vary as widely as it does in Japan, Hawaii still has four distinct seasons. From November to March, it is relatively more rainy, and it is cooler in the early mornings and evenings, requiring a jacket. In summer, there is a period of extremely hot days like summer in Japan. That said, Hawaii certainly has a comfortable climate throughout the year. During the daytime hours, the water temperature is pleasant for swimming almost every day, and the northeast trade winds keep the humidity down even at the height of summer. You can sleep soundly and comfortably at night without an air conditioner.

Currency and Exchange Rate, Tax, Currency exchange, Tip

Currency and Exchange Rate

The unit of currency is dollars ($) and cents (¢). $1 is 100¢, approx. JPY110 (as of June 6, 2020). There are mainly six denominations of banknotes, $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100, and four types of coins, 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, and 25¢.


Similar to the consumption tax in Japan, a state tax of roughly 4.166% (4.712% in Oahu) is added to food and other purchases (tax is included in bus fares and other fares). In addition to the state tax, there is also a 10.25% hotel tax added to hotel room rates.


Refer to the following when providing a tip. Note that many restaurants give bills with the service charge already included. Be careful not to pay the tip twice.

  • Taxis: About 15% of the meter fare.
  • Restaurants: About 15% of the bill.
  • Hotels: $1 for every piece of luggage carried by the bellhop. $1 for each bed for the housekeeper. When ordering room service, about 15% of the meal charge.

Voltage and plug


The voltage in Hawaii is 110/120 V, with a frequency of 60 Hz. Hawaii uses the same Type A plugs as Japan. Rechargeable electric shavers and hair dryers can be used for brief durations of time. However, damage may result with extended use or use of irons or other electric appliances that become very hot. For other electrical devices, check the voltage.

Video and DVD

Video and DVD

Hawaii uses the NTSC TV and video system. As this is the same system that is used in Japan and the US mainland, videos can be played on video players in Japan. However, DVDs cannot be played on DVD players in Japan, as the region code differs (2 in Japan, 1 in Hawaii).



When sending airmail to Japan, the address can be written in Japanese. However, do not forget to write "Japan" and "Airmail" on the package.
Post office hours vary by place, so it is best to request your post to be mailed for you at the hotel front desk.

Postal fees

Airmail to Japan is $1.15 for regular-sized postcards and letters up to 28 g (the weight of about one envelope and three A4-sized sheets of paper).

Phone Call

How to phone

Telephoning Japan from Hawaii

Ex. When calling (03) 1234-5678

Dial 011 (International telephone identification number)


81 (Country Code, Japan)


Other parties telephone No. (Remove the first 0 from area codes)

Telephoning Hawaii from Japan

Ex. When calling Waikiki 922-XXXX

International Telephone Company No.

  • 001 (KDDI)*1
  • 0033 (NTT Communications) *1
  • 0061 (SoftBank) *1
  • 005345 (au Mobile) *2
  • 009130 (NTT DoCoMo Mobile) *3
  • 0046 (SoftBank Mobile)*4

010 (International Identification No.)


1 (Country Code, The United States of America)


808 (Area Code, State of Hawaii)


922-XXXX (Other parties telephone No.)

  • *1.Not required if you have an international registration with "My Line" or "My Line Plus". See URL My Line/My Line Plus(www.myline.org)for details.
  • *2.For the three cell phone carriers, hold down 0 until + appears, then add the country code and the phone number your wish to dial.

Holiday / National holiday

Holiday / National holiday

Almost the same as the US mainland, but there are some holidays observed only in Hawaii (Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day, King Kamehameha Day, and Statehood Day).The dates in the brackets for holidays that fall on different days each year are for 2020.


  • January 1: New Year's Day
  • 3rd Monday of January (January 20): Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • 3rd Monday of February(February 17): Presidents' Day
  • March 26: Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day
  • April 19: Good Friday
  • April 21: Easter (varies by year)
  • Last Monday of May (Nay 25): Memorial Day
  • June 11: King Kamehameha Day
  • July 3: Independence Day
  • 3rd Friday in August (August 21): Statehood Day
  • 1st Monday in September (September 7): Labor Day
  • 2nd Monday in October (October12): Columbus Day
  • November 11: Veterans Day
  • 4th Thursday in November(November 26): Thanksgiving Day
  • December 25: Christmas Day



The official language is English. Hawaiian is also widely used. Japanese is used in certain places like Waikiki.

Business hours, etc

Business hours

Below are guidelines for general business hours. Business hours vary with the shop or restaurant, but boutiques and other places in the Waikiki area stay open until 22:00 or 23:00. Many shops and restaurants in tourist areas stay open on public holidays, but almost all places close on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.


Mon. to Thu. 8:30 to 16:00, Fri. 8:30 to 18:00, closed on Sat., Sun., Holidays.

Department Stores/Shops

Mon. to Sat. 10:00 to 21:00, Sun. 10:00 to 17:00.


Breakfast is from 7:00 to 11:00, lunch from 11:30 to 14:30, dinner from around 17:00 to 22:00, and bars are open until late at night.

Age Limit

Drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited in Hawaii for those under 21. You must therefore show ID with your photo and date of birth on it when drinking at bars, buying alcohol at liquor stores, or entering discos, clubs, or other places that serve alcohol. Regardless of age, alcohol cannot be purchased at supermarkets or other stores from late at night (around midnight) until early morning (6:00). Although you can get a driver's license in Hawaii at the age of 21, there are age restrictions when renting vehicles, and some car rental companies charge extra fees for those under 25.


The new Smoke-Free Law that went into effect in November 2006 prohibits smoking in all public places, including restaurants, bars, shopping malls, and hotels.

Copyright (C) Globe-Trotter Media Partners Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright (C) Diamond-Big Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.