on December 21st, 2018 (JST) current information

Immigration and Visa


Generally no visa is required for Japanese visitors staying 15 days or less. A visa is required to stay longer than 15 days or if traveling for special purposes. Note that the type of visa varies with the travel purpose. For tourism, obtain a thirty-day tourist visa (L visa).


Your passport should be valid for at least six months. It should also have at least two unused visa pages.

Immigration Card

These cards are on a single form, but are often found separated into halves.

*Visa, passport, and other information is subject to change without notice. Be sure to check with the Embassy, Consulate, or travel agency.


Bringing in e-cigarettes: The scope for tax exemption is 400 cigarettes, same as for regular cigarettes, and an exterior device of up to 5,000 yuan.

For bringing and possession of tax-free cigarettes

Tobacco-400 cigarettes, 100 cigars, or 500g of cut tobacco
Liquor-1.5L of liquor containing over 12% alcohol

Time difference and Daylight Saving Time

Time difference

Japan is 1 hour ahead of Shanghai.



Similarly to Japan, the seasonal variation in Shanghai is clearly distinguished. The region has its rainy season from the end of June, with many showery periods. It is ideal to have some rainwear during this season. The hottest season is during July and August. Protect yourself from sunstroke as the temperature sometimes exceeds 35°C. September is the most comfortable time of year, despite the large temperature difference between day and night. During December, the weather is both cold and dry. The coldest period of the year is January, with maximum temperature often staying below zero. It is important to dress appropriately for the weather.

Temperatures in Shanghai and Tokyo

Temperatures in Shanghai and Tokyo

Precipitation in Shanghai and Tokyo

Precipitation in Shanghai and Tokyo

Currency and Exchange Rate, Tax, Currency exchange, Chip

Currency and Exchange Rate


Majority of notes in circulation are ones designed with a portrait of Mao Zedong.

The unit of currency is the Renminyuan (人民元), and is referred to as yuan in Chinese or simply kuai in spoken language. The abbreviation RMB comes from the word Renminbi, which is the same as Renminyuan. The fractional currency units are the jiao (jiao, or mao in spoken language) and the fen. However, the fen is rarely used these days. 1 yuan = 10 jiao = 100 fen ≒ JPY16.3 (as of November 26, 2018). There are 24 denominations of old and new banknotes as well as 10 denominations of coins are in circulation.


In China, although taxes (service tax, city maintenance and construction tax, etc.) may be charged when lodging at hotels (not uniform rates). Under the value-added tax (VAT) refund system, you can receive a refund on the VAT when leaving China for purchases of 500 yuan or more at designated stores if you complete the required procedure.


Tipping is generally not required as there is no custom for tipping in China. Service charges are added onto lodging fees at many middle and high class hotels, and tipping is unnecessary in those cases.

Voltage and plug



A multi-nation converter plug is convenient

Voltage in China is 220V with a cycle of 50Hz. For this reason, using electronic products from Japan often requires the use of a transformer. There are roughly 7 types of plugs used locally, with type B, C and O being the most common. Transformers and converter plugs can be purchased in Japan at stores selling travel goods as well as large electronic stores, or internet stores selling travel goods.

Video and DVD

Video and DVD

When purchasing video software such as VHS, DVD, BD or VCD, take note of both the broadcasting system and the region code. The broadcasting system in Japan is NTSC and China is PAL. To play PAL in Japan, a PAL compatible VCR, video player and TV, or a video player that can convert PAL into NTSC is required (BD is compatible with both). The DVD region code for China is 6 and Japan is 2, and the BD code for China is C and Japan is A (does not apply to VHS and VCD). Although the code for the video software and video player must match in order to be played, it can still be played if either is all-region compatible.



The color of the postal service in China is dark green, so the mailboxes are in dark green, not red. For airmails to Japan, postcards are 5 yuan and sealed letters are 6 yuan (up to 20g) and above. Since postal services and communication services were divided in China, the services have been split into the State Post Bureau (post and telegram) and each communication company.

Phone Call

Phone Call

Situation How to phone
[Telephoning Japan from Mainland China] When calling (03) 1234-5678 or (090) 1234-5678,
dial 00 (International telephone identification number)

81 (Country Code, Japan)

3 or 90 (Remove the first 0 for area codes and mobile telephone numbers)

1234-5678 (Other parties telephone No.)
[Telephoning Mainland China from Japan] International Telephone Company No.
001 (KDDI)*1, 0033 (NTT Communications) *1, 0061 (SoftBank Telecom) *1, 005345 (au Mobile) *2, 009130 (NTT DoCoMo Mobile) *3, 0046 (SoftBank Mobile)*4

010 (International Identification No.)

86 (Country Code, Mainland China)

Remove the first 0 from telephone numbers for area codes

*1 Not required if you have an international registration with "My Line" or "My Line Plus". See URL for details
*2 au does not require 005345.
*3 Pre-registration to World Wing is required for NTT DoCoMo. Does not require 009130.
*4 Call are possible without dialing 0046 from SoftBank.
* For the three cell phone carriers, hold down 0 until + appears, then add the country code and the phone number your wish to dial.

Holiday / National holiday

Holiday / National holiday

China's national holidays are a combination of the western calendar and the lunar calendar (Chinese calendar), and it should be noted that they include movable holidays (marked with double asterisk) that are observed on different dates each year. There are also national holidays and memorial days (* asterisk) that fall on specific dates. Additionally, China is a multiethnic nation and there are unique festivals for each ethnic group that are not official holidays but many of which are very interesting to see.

2019 (2020)
January 1: New Year's
February 5: **Spring Festival (January 25)
March 8: *International Women's Day
April 5: **Qingming Festival (April 5)
May 1: Labour Day
May 4: *Youth Day
June 1: *Children's Day
June 7: **Dragon Boat Festival
August 1: *Army Day
September 13: **Mid-Autumn Festival
October 1: National Day

*Government approved ways of arranging holidays are announced at the end of the year, and are adjusted yearly.



The official language of China is Standard Chinese, a language that was created based on the Beijing dialect of Mandarin which is spoken by China's most dominant majority ethnic group, the Han race. Different ethnic groups have their own official languages. Additionally, even Mandarin which is spoken by multiple ethnic groups is divided into the Northern dialect, Wu (around Shanghai), Min, Yue and Hakka dialects as a result of the large territory of China. Each of these dialects differs so greatly that speakers of differing dialects cannot converse with each other. English is often not understood on the streets.

Business hours, etc

Business hours

Shops and restaurants may differ in hours, but holidays and business hours for public institutions are also not regulated. Below are general guidelines for business hours.
Banks (money exchange): 9:00-12:00, 13:30-17:00.Closed on Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
Department Stores/Shops: 10:00-20:00. Open everyday.
Restaurants: 11:00-15:00, 17:00-22:00. Many stores are closed during Spring Festival.

Age Limit

The legal age to obtain a driver's license in China is 18. The law does not restrict the age for drinking and smoking. As of now, there are no rental car systems that can be easily used by travelers.

Copyright (C) Globe-Trotter Media Partners Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright (C) Diamond-Big Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.