Customers with Assistance Dogs
The icons named Japan Domestic or International indicate differences in service for Japan domestic and international flights. Content not marked with an icon applies to both, Japan domestic and international flights.
Traveling with Assistance Dogs
Upon making your reservation, please inform us if you will need any assistance when traveling with your assistance dog.
The staff at the airport will confirm the Assistance Dog Certificate (Guide Dog Certificate for a guide dog) and the assistance dog indication on the dog.
You may be asked to present a document, harness, tag, etc that proves the dog is a guide dog, hearing dog or mobility assistance dog. In addition, we may ask you for confirmation or similar.
Service dogs besides guide dogs, hearing dogs, and mobility assistance dogs can be brought on board if the conditions are met.
A service dog must be trained to perform specific work and provide support for a person with a disability.
- Alert Dogs: Dogs that have been trained to alert the handler before an epileptic seizure, hypoglycemic shock, etc
- Psychiatric Service Dogs: Dogs that have been trained to assist with the behavior and actions of a person with a mental illness
- Emotional Support Dogs: Dogs that provide emotional support for customers with mental disorders
|Applicable Routes||Types||Prior Application||Items to Check /Required Documents|
|Flights to/from the U.S.||
||Application required no later than 48 hours prior to the departure time of the flight
However, if the necessary documents can be confirmed at the departure airport on the departure date, the application will be accepted
|Flights to/from Canada||
||Application required no later than 96 hours prior to the departure time of the flight||
|Flights to/from Mexico||
||Application required no later than 48 hours prior to the departure time of the flight||
- You are required to tether the service dog on a lead, harness or similar at all times.
- A service dog must be trained to perform specific work and provide support for a person with a disability. Our staff at the departure airport may ask you several questions. If we decide as a result that the service dog criteria are not met, your animal will be checked in as a pet in the cargo compartment.
- Medium or large-sized dogs will have to lie down on the floor of the cabin. For large-size dogs, this may result in their intruding into the space of the adjacent seat or the aisle. In this instance, you may be required to purchase the adjacent seat as space for your service dog. If you wish to bring a pet cage on board the aircraft, please check Carry-on Baggage Size and Rules (International Flights).
- Emotional support dogs are not allowed in the cabin on US and Canada routes. These dogs will be checked in as pets in the cargo compartment for a fee.
- For codeshare flights on US routes, the aforementioned service dogs are accepted only on codeshare flights with United Airlines.
- ANA's handling is based on the regulations and notices of the US Department of Transportation (US DOT). For further details, please see the US Department of Transportation website.
- If you violate the items specified on the application document, or if the service dog causes damage inside the airport or aircraft, ANA will claim compensation from the passenger with service dog for the damage.
Contact Information for Sending Applications / Inquiries
For the customer who sends this document by fax, please be aware of the accurate indication of your Email address since we can reply to your proposal by Email only.
Apply by Fax
Customer Service Center / US
FAX : 1-310-782-3135
Customers Traveling with a Guide Dog, Hearing Dog, or Mobility Assistance Dog Certified outside Japan
For your comfortable stay and activity in Japan, “Application for Temporary Certification of foreign Assistance Dog Users." can be acquired. For details, Please see the Notice to Assistance Dog Users from Overseas on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website.
Transportation Restrictions for Dogs Traveling to the United States
Due to the notice issued by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the entry to the United States of dogs from countries and areas that CDC considers high risk for rabies and dogs that have been in countries and areas at high risk for rabies in the past 6 months are temporarily suspended. For details, please refer to "For Passengers Travelling with Dogs to the United States".
If you board an international flight, your assistance dog may be subject to quarantine depending on the country. In Japan, certain procedure must be completed upon taking your assistance or service dog out of Japan and upon bringing it back.
Please see the Animal Quarantine Service (AQS) page on the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries website for further information.
Guide dogs, hearing dogs, and mobility assistance dogs are permitted on board.
Please contact the ANA Disability Desk for details, as some codeshare partner airlines may accept guide dogs, hearing dogs, mobility assistance dogs and other service dogs on board.
Due to safety reasons, emergency exit row seats are not available for passengers traveling with Assistance or Service Dogs.
- Your assigned seat may be changed without prior notice due to changes in aircraft type and other unavoidable reasons.
- Some Japan domestic fares are not eligible for online advance seat reservation.
Please arrive early at the airport in order to have leave enough time for necessary procedures.
Approximate Time of Arrival to the Airport
Please inform the staff at the check-in counter that you are traveling with your Assistance or Service Dog if you need any assistance.
Please inform the gate agent in advance at the boarding gate when you are traveling with your Assistance or Service Dog to guide you with priority boarding.
60 minutes prior to the departure time
120 minutes prior to the departure time
If you have requested assistance for disembarkation, please remain seated until our staff comes to your seat to escort you off the aircraft. Our staff will escort you to the arrival lobby or to the person meeting you for pickup. Please feel free to ask. Please request this service upon making your reservation or contact the ANA Disability Desk to request it instead.
- Frequently asked questions about Customers with Assistance Dogs
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the ANA Disability Desk.