Information on Child Seats
Using a child seat
- ・We kindly ask you to bring on board the aircraft a CARES harness or a child seat that has been approved by Japan (MLIT), Europe (ECE/UN) or the U.S. (FMSVSS1).
We also request that you yourself attach/remove your harness or child seat to/from the aircraft seat.
- ・If you wish to use a child seat, please reserve a seat in advance and purchase a child fare.
- ・Due to safety reasons, a window seat is preferable for a child seat.If you wish to select an aisle seat, one in the center block is preferable. Please note that we may ask you to change your seat if you select a seat other than that recommended above.
- ・The seat width in First Class and Business Class on international flights and in Premium Class on Japan domestic flights is wider, and so it may not be possible to secure the child seat using the cabin seat belt. If the child seat cannot be secured to the seat, it cannot be used on board even if it meets the standards.
Please note that child seats cannot be used in Business Class on B777-300ER aircraft with the new 212 seat configuration.
Your kind understanding is greatly appreciated.
Child Seats Types
The acceptable types of child seat are as follows.
- (1) A seat approved by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MLIT)
- (2) A seat approved by Europe (UN/ECE-United Nations Economic Commission for Europe)
- (3) A seat approved by the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS)
- (4) A "CARES" seat
- ・The harness type child seat was previously not allowed on ANA operated flights, but use of "CARES" only is now allowed.
- ・"CARES" is a seat for aviation use designed for children age 1 and older who weigh between 22 and 44 pounds (about 10 - 20Kg).
- *For more information, check the manufacturer's criteria for use and prepare an appropriate seat for the child.
- *Even if the standards have been met, use may be denied depending on the installation situation, or you may be asked to change your seat.
Unacceptable child seats
Even if the above-mentioned standards and approvals have been met, those that cannot be fixed with seatbelts in practice in the cabin are unacceptable.
In addition, with the exception of CARES, the types listed below are unacceptable.
We will provide notification as the list of acceptable products is updated.
Unacceptable child seats
Booster type with backrest
Other special assistance is available to ensure that expectant mothers and passengers traveling with infants have a pleasant journey. For further information, please visit the ANA website.