Damaged Baggage(International Flights)
- If a codeshare flight or flight operated by another airline is included in the itinerary, the baggage rules of the other airline may apply.
- When traveling on Japanese domestic sectors using a ticket for which the International Conditions of Carriage apply, the baggage rules for international flights will apply.
- Please be advised that in the event that it is impossible to confirm whether or not an item can be transported by airplane before the departure time, the request for transport may be rejected.
We handle passengers’ checked baggage with great care until reaching the destination, but due to bad weather or facility-related conditions, there are cases in which baggage may be damaged.
We sincerely apologize for causing considerable concern and inconvenience to affected passengers.
ANA will sincerely work to resolve the situation.
- Declaration upon arrival
When you notice the damage upon arrival, please report it to ANA airport staff immediately.
- Retrospective declaration
If you notice damage after you have left the airport, please declare the damage to the arrival airport by the deadline of declaration (seven days from the day following the day of the baggage claim).
To confirm the degree of damage, you may be required to submit a Damaged Baggage Declaration Form when making the declaration after you have left the airport. If you wish to declare damaged baggage, contact the arrival airport, then fill out the declaration form and send it by fax or postal mail to the informed address. (We will advise you on procedure details when you contact us.)
Deadline of Declaration
In accordance with the Conditions of Carriage (International Passengers and Baggage), the declaration must be made no later than seven days from the day following the day on which the baggage was picked up.
Please note that we may not be able to address such issues if the deadline has passed.
As a general rule, baggage which qualifies for compensation will be subject to repair. However, depending on the degree of damage and time factors, a different handling other than repair may be offered. Please be aware that repairs may take some time due to parts being out of stock or similar.
Please note that disclaimers may apply and some cases may not be eligible for compensation.
- We will handle your baggage with great care. However, please be aware that ANA cannot be held liable for any damage occurring to fragile items such as musical instruments, sporting equipment (surfboards, windsurfing equipment, scuba diving gear, bicycles, etc.), cameras, electronic devices such as personal computers, precision instruments, works of art or antiques, ceramics, glassware, or alcohol, if and to the extent that the damage results from an inherent defect or characteristic of the item in question.
- ANA will not be liable for any damage or loss that results from normal wear and tear in the course of normal handling. This includes : damage as a result of overweighting or over-packing; damage caused by defects in the baggage itself; loss or damage to protruding parts such as detachable wheels/straps/hooks/name tags/belts; minor damage such as scratches/scuffs/dents/cuts/dirt.
- ANA will not be liable for any damage caused by TSA(Transportation Security Administration) or other safety inspection authorities of each country.
If you notice the damage to your baggage while you are still at the airport
As the airport staff will inform you about the procedures, please contact the arrival airport.
- For details, please contact the airport staff at the arrival airport.
If you notice damage to your baggage when you have already left the airport
If you notice the damage after arriving on an ANA-operated flight
- If it is within seven days from the day following the day of baggage pick-up, and it is a case which is eligible for compensation (disclaimer), please contact the arrival airport as the airport staff will inform you about the procedures.
- If it is on the eighth day or later from the day following the day of baggage pick-up, or it is a case which is not eligible for compensation (disclaimer), unfortunately, compensation cannot be provided.
If you notice the damage after arriving on a flight not operated by ANA
Please inquire with the airline on which you arrived.