With the conclusion of the Paris Agreement in 2015 at the 21st session of the Conference of the Parties (COP21) during the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Japanese government set its own target related to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, following decisions at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) General Assembly in 2016, beginning in 2021, carbon neutral growth with no increase in CO2 emissions from the international aviation sector has become an international commitment. Accordingly, airlines are increasingly aware of CO2 emission reductions.
In 1998, we reevaluated our basic approach, established the ANA Group Environmental Principles and have worked towards reducing environmental impact in accordance with ANA FLY ECO 2020, a medium- to long-term environmental plan from 2012 to 2020.
To demonstrate in Japan and overseas our quest to become the leading eco-friendly airline group, we formulated the ANA Group Environmental Policies in June 2017.
ANA Group Environmental Policies
- The mindset to value the environment starts with recognition of the burden we place on the Earth.
- We will use natural resources and energy with care, and contribute to attaining a prosperous and sustainable society.
- We will take initiative in environment conservation activities and share our care for the Earth with people around the world.
ANA Group recognizes environmental initiatives such as measures against global warming and biodiversity conservation as critical business issues and aims to be a Leading Environmental Airline Group through all corporate activities.
- We will precisely identify and analyze the impact of our business activities on the environment and publicly disclose them.
- We will promote environmental protection in line with social needs and go beyond relevant laws and regulations, through a wide range of dialogue with stakeholders.
- We will promote measures to reduce the environmental impact in all businesses operations, and actively pursue possibilities of new technologies and services for this purpose.
- We will continuously pay close attention to the environmental consideration of our supply chains and promote environmentally conscious procurement.
- We will enhance our 3R (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) practices and waste management to contribute toward the creation of a recycling-based society.
- We will encourage our workforce to engage in environmental preservation activities, raising each employee's awareness.
- ※ The ANA Group will also continuously encourage its business partners and suppliers not only to support the Policy but also to adopt a similar policy. All corporate activities stated above include due diligence on investment and M&A.
Under the CSR, Risk and Compliance Promotion Committee, ANA Group has established the Eco-First Subcommittee for initiatives dealing with aircraft flight operations and the Ground Energy Subcommittee for initiatives dealing with ground operations. These subcommittees are implementing specific measures to reduce the burden on our environment. Controlling CO2 emissions from flight operations is our most critical issue, and in parallel, we will pursue the creation of economic value through controlling fuel expenses and social value through reducing its environmental impact.
ANA FLY ECO 2020 Targets and Performance
To become the leading environmental airline, ANA Group launched the 21st Century Action Plan in 1999, raising specific target values at every medium-term period and promoting comprehensive environmental conservation activities centered around CO2 reduction. In fiscal year 2012 ANA Group started the 2012-2020 medium- to long-term environmental plan, ANA FLY ECO 2020, to engage in environmental issues from a more global perspective. 2020 is set as the next target when a new international framework for global warming measures will be determined.
In setting our target values, we are taking the global standard set by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) into consideration as the airline industry’s global target. The ANA Group will focus particularly on CO2 reduction to further strengthen measures against global warming. In addition, we have set various targets such as starting full-scale biofuel use, promoting conservation of resources, and promoting local environmental activities.
Steady and dedicated efforts will be imperative in achieving the goals, and we will continue to build a corporate culture where each employee is conscientious of environmental protection in their day-to-day work and to work together as one.
Certified Eco-First Company
- In 2008, ANA became the first company in the airline and transport industries to be certified an Eco-First Company by Japan's Ministry of Environment. This accomplishment reflected the Ministry's high regard for the company's environmental initiatives and our commitment to social responsibility.
In addition, we endorse the principles of the COOL CHOICE national movement spearheaded by the Ministry of Environment to encourage smart choices (cool choices) to fight global warming, and we are building awareness through ANA's in-flight magazine and videos.
On 23 October 2017, we renewed our Eco-First Promise.
Toward Achieving the COP21 (Paris Agreement) Reduction Targets
We officially adopted the Paris Agreement, an international framework to tackle global warming from 2020 at COP21 (the 21st session of the Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) held in Paris, France, in December 2016.
The target is to reduce greenhouse emissions from various activities substantively down to zero by the latter half of this century, to achieve the agreement's main goal to keep the global temperature rise of this century well below 2 degrees Celsius.
To accomplish this, all countries are obligated to set and submit emission reduction goals and implement relevant domestic measures, and for a framework to be in place to continue to improve by reviewing the targets every five years.
The total CO2 emission reduction target in Japan is 26%. ANA Group, as a leading global airline group, is engaged in various activities to reach this target.
1. Promoting Visualization of ANA Group's Environment and Energy Data
Our new energy data control system, ANA Eiims, was installed group-wide in October 2017.
We are enhancing our system to accurately enter, monitor and analyze environmental data to implement further energy-saving measures.
Disclosure of Environment-Related Information
Since fiscal year 2016 we have categorized our greenhouse gas emissions into scope 1, 2, and 3 according to standards set by the Energy Conservation Act, and obtain third party authentication on the data's accuracy before its disclosure. We have responded to CDP (the Carbon Disclosure Project ), to disclose information related to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change as requested by investors, and received a B rating in 2018 (industry average is C).Environmental Data