Chapter 1 General Rules
Article 1 Purpose
All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “ANA”) manages the ANA Mileage Club (hereinafter referred to as “AMC”), a membership program that provides Awards to its customers in return for their use of the products and services of ANA and its Participating Program Partners. These terms and conditions (hereinafter referred to as these “Terms and Conditions”) set out the various conditions agreed between the Members and ANA on the use of the AMC. By becoming or continuing to be a Member of AMC, the Members agree that these Terms and Conditions apply to the use of the AMC. In using the AMC, these Terms and Conditions, as well as details of the Awards, Miles’ accrual levels and conditions, required Miles and other conditions separately provided by ANA, will apply.
Article 2 Definitions
“Member” means a customer who has applied to join the AMC as an individual and whose membership has been approved by ANA.
“Miles” means points that a Member earns by using the eligible services, and which can be used for the redemption of Awards.
“Bonus Miles” means the Miles earned when the prescribed conditions are satisfied in addition to the regular Miles.
“Mileage Account” means the account in which Miles are accumulated.
“Awards” means the products and services provided by ANA or Participating Program Partners (including Partner Airlines) at the Member's request for redemption of Miles.
“Flight Awards” means flight tickets offered by ANA or its partner airlines as Awards.
“Upgrade Awards” means upgrade services to a higher seat class under the prescribed conditions.
“Partner Airline” means an airline that offers Miles, Flight Awards or Upgrade Awards to Members under certain conditions.
“Participating Program Partner” means a company that offers Miles to Members who use its products and services, or offers products and services as Awards based on its affiliation to ANA.
“Membership Card” means the general term for various types of AMC Cards issued to Members to show their AMC membership. This includes AMC Cards, ANA Cards and Affiliated Cards.
“AMC Card” means a Membership Card issued independently by ANA.
“ANA Card” means a Membership Card jointly issued by ANA and a credit card company that has the name ANA CARD printed on the surface of the card.
“Affiliated Card” means a Membership Card jointly issued by ANA and a Participating Program Partner.
“Designated User” means the user of the Awards designated by a Member, and who is a relative within the second degree of kinship of the Member (including the same-sex partner of the Member).
“Diamond Service,” “Platinum Service” and “Bronze Service” mean the services offered to Members who have earned the amount of premium points designated by ANA.
Article 3 Enrollment
Those who have agreed to these Terms and Conditions, submitted applications for the AMC, and passed the screening of ANA will be officially accepted as AMC members. Applications for ANA Cards or Affiliated Cards will also be examined by partner credit card companies or Participating Program Partners issuing the Affiliated Cards.
Article 4 Commencement of Membership
- Once ANA receives an application for membership and opens a Mileage Account for a Member after screening, the membership of the customer becomes effective and a membership number will be sent to the Member.
- Each Member is eligible to use only one Mileage Account. If ANA becomes aware that one Member holds more than one Mileage Accounts, ANA reserves the right to integrate them. Miles from the same transaction cannot be credited to more than one account. If there are any Miles that have been credited for the same transaction to more than one account as stated above, then ANA reserves the right to correct it without giving any notice to the Member.
- The Member will be required to enter the membership number and the password to verify the Member's identity in using various services, including applications for redemption of Awards, etc. The Member should keep the membership number and the password in strict confidence and ensure that it will not become known to any third party.
- If a Member did not set a password when applying for membership, then ANA will set the initial password. In such a case, the Member should take appropriate actions to protect it from unauthorized use, such as changing the password from the initial password immediately after the membership number is issued, changing the password on a regular basis, and avoiding using a password that can be easily guessed by a third party.
- Except where ANA fails to take proper technical and organizational measures to avoid a leakage of information, ANA shall not be held responsible for Awards fraudulently obtained due to unauthorized access by a third party to the Member’s password.
Article 5 Use of the Membership Card
- ANA issues Membership Cards to Members.
- ANA (and its joint issuers, if any) retains ownership of Membership Cards, and lends them to Members. If there is a signature panel on the Membership Card, Members must immediately sign their names on it.
- A Member's name and the membership number (including the numbers provided by Participating Program Partners issuing Affiliated Cards or partner credit card companies, hereinafter referred to as the “Card Information”) are shown on the Membership Card. A Membership Card can only be used by the Member.
- All claims for Miles’ accrual to a Mileage Account, balance inquiries, and redemptions and cancellations of Awards must be made by the Member himself/herself. Upon receiving such claims, ANA will perform customer verification by asking certain information about Members. If certain information about the Member is properly presented, then ANA will consider the claims to be a proper exercise of the rights by a Member. In the event ANA later finds out that a wrongful act was performed by an unauthorized person concerning any use based on the said application, ANA shall not have any responsibility for any damages suffered by the Member therefrom. However, this shall not apply if ANA knew or could have easily known that such act was performed without any authorization. Claims for Miles’ accrual, balance inquiries and redemptions for Members who are infants or children may be made by a parent or legal guardian.
- Members should use and manage their Membership Cards and Card Information with the diligence of a good manager. Members are strictly prohibited from lending or transferring their Membership Cards or offering them as collateral to third parties. Unless it is necessary to exercise the rights recognized in these Terms and Conditions, Members are prohibited from allowing third parties to use their Card Information.
- In the event of loss, theft, damage or defacement, ANA shall reissue a Membership Card at the request of the Member after ANA screens and approves such request. (In the case of ANA Cards and Affiliated Cards, its partner credit card companies or Participating Program Partners issuing the Affiliated Cards will also participate in the screening.) A set fee will be charged to the Member for reissuing the Membership Card.
- ANA shall designate the names of Membership Cards. Members cannot hold multiple Membership Cards with the same card name. However, exceptions may be made if ANA agrees.
Article 6 Services Provided by Participating Program Partners
- Participating Program Partners assume all responsibility for the products and services that they offer (including advertising and promotion), and ANA does not guarantee the merchantability, fitness for purpose, currency and accuracy of such products and services.
- In using the Awards offered by Partner Airlines or other Awards offered by Participating Program Partners, the Members shall comply with the conditions of each Participating Program Partner. However, applications, changes, cancellations and refunds of Awards are subject to the terms and conditions of ANA.
- Members are not permitted to share, combine or transfer mileage or points offered by Participating Program Partners with the accumulated Miles. In the event of a cancellation or refund of the products and services offered by Participating Program Partners, ANA reserves the right to cancel the accumulated Miles even after the Miles’ accumulation has been completed.
- ANA shall not be held responsible for changes in various conditions, including termination of or changes in the partnerships with Participating Program Partners, cancellation of Awards offered by them, Miles earned from using their products and services, and Miles necessary for redeeming Awards.
- ANA reserves the right to change or terminate partnerships with Participating Program Partners based on its judgment. However, ANA will give prior notice of changes in or termination of partnerships with Participating Program Partners to its Members. Awards that have been issued will be valid for the period stated therein regardless of the termination of or change in the partnership.
Chapter 2 Earning Miles
Article 7 Eligibility for Earning Miles
- Members can earn Miles based on the standards provided by ANA or the Partner Airlines when flying with ANA or the Partner Airlines under certain conditions. ANA has the right to freely change the standards used for Miles’ accrual, such as eligible sectors, cabin classes, booking classes and fares, as necessary.
- Members can earn Miles after using the products and services offered by Participating Program Partners in accordance with their designation. Participating Program Partners can freely change products and services eligible for earning Miles as necessary.
Article 8 Methods for Earning Miles
- Members earn Miles based on the ticketed booking class, regardless of the actual class flown. In case of a downgrade, the Miles will be based on the actual boarding class. Members are not eligible to earn Miles unless they actually travel on the flights they booked.
- Each Member can only earn Miles once per flight per Member, regardless of the number of seats purchased.
- Unless otherwise specified, Members who earn mileage or points in the customer programs of Participating Program Partners are not eligible to earn Miles at the same time.
- Miles are credited when they are recorded in the Members' Mileage Accounts. Members may not redeem their Miles for Awards until they are recorded in their Mileage Accounts.
- In the event the Miles were not automatically recorded in the Mileage Accounts even though membership has been obtained on the boarding date for the flight eligible for Miles’ accrual or as of the date of purchase of the products or use of the services offered by Participating Program Partners, Members can claim these Miles in the manner prescribed by ANA only within 6 months from the said boarding date or date of purchase or use of such products and services. However, this does not apply to ANA Cards and affiliated cards for which there is screening by ANA or the relevant credit card company or partner company.
Furthermore, retroactive registrations cannot be accepted or the request period may vary depending on Participating Program Partners.
- Members who have an objection to accrual of Miles may submit a claim to ANA only within 6 months from the boarding date of the said flight or transaction of products or services of Participating Program Partners. In such a case, ANA may request the Member to submit proof of boarding on the said flight (including the retained segment of the boarding pass and passenger receipt for the sector claimed to have been flown by the Member) or proof of the transaction of the said products and services.
- ANA calculates the Miles based on the flight mileage chart prepared by ANA according to the distance between the departure airport and the destination airport.
- Members who are children (3 to 11 years old for domestic flights, and 2 to 11 years old for international flights) may earn Miles at the same rate as an adult (12 years or older).
- When an infant (under 3 years old for domestic flights and under 2 years old for international flights) is traveling on an infant fare (unable to hold a seat; international flights only), Miles will not accumulate. However, when an infant is traveling on a child fare (able to hold a seat), Miles will accumulate at the same rate as an adult (12 years or older).
- Members can earn Miles and redeem Awards from Participating Program Partners by providing their membership numbers when they purchase the products or use the services offered by such Participating Program Partners.
Article 9 Combining Miles
Unless otherwise specified by ANA, Members may not sell, share, combine or donate the Miles earned to any third party. If a Member passes away, then subject to the prescribed procedures described in Article 21, their legal heirs may inherit the valid Miles as of the date the said procedures are completed.
Article 10 Validity of Miles
Miles are valid until the end of the 36th month counting from the month a service or a product was used. ANA shall not be responsible for any loss or expiration of Miles of Members regardless of the reason therefor.
Chapter 3 Redemption of Awards
Article 11 Users of Awards
Except for some Awards, Awards may be used by Members and Designated Users. In case a Member allows a Designated User to use the Awards, registration of the Designated User is required prior to the application of the Awards’ redemption. Upon the said registration, ANA is entitled to ask Members and Designated Users to provide documentation proving their family relationship. Designated Users are limited to the Member’s relatives within the second degree of kinship (including the same-sex partner of the Member).
Article 12 Applying for Awards
- ANA will perform customer verification upon accepting applications for Awards. If ANA is unable to complete such customer verification, then ANA will not accept the application for Awards.
- ANA will send all necessary information and Awards to the address and contact address registered with the AMC by the Member. Members must notify ANA if there are changes to the said registered information or their registered personal information. In the case of ANA Cards and Affiliated Cards, Members should notify the credit card companies or Participating Program Partners issuing the Affiliated Cards of these changes. In case a Member suffers any disadvantages, such as non-delivery of the necessary information or Awards to the Members due to any failure to make such notification in a timely manner, ANA shall not be responsible for such disadvantages.
Article 13 Restrictions on Use of Awards
- ANA may put restrictions on Flight Awards and Upgrade Awards, such as blackout periods and limited seat availability. There may be cases in some flights where there is no designation of seats available for the use of such Awards. ANA cannot be held responsible to make arrangements, such as refunds of Awards, refund of Miles back to Mileage Accounts, reductions or exemptions of cancellation fees or extensions of validity due to the above restrictions.
- Once an application for Flight Awards or Upgrade Awards has been made, Members or Designated Users may not change the names of the passenger and the Miles provider.
- Members or Designated Users may not combine Flight Awards with Upgrade Awards.
- When Flight Awards or Upgrade Awards are used by Members or Designated Users, they may be asked to confirm their identity by ANA. Members should carry their Membership Cards and identification documents that could verify their identities when using the said Awards, and ensure that their Designated Users carry identification documents that could verify their relationship with the Members upon ANA’s request. If certain identification or verification of the family relationship is not confirmed, then ANA may refuse the use of the Awards.
- Except as expressly allowed by ANA, Members or Designated Users are not permitted in any way to transfer Awards to a third party, whether by selling or buying, exchanging or donating them. Members or Designated Users are prohibited from causing any third party to commit such acts.
- In addition to the contents of these Terms and Conditions, ANA may set additional terms and conditions on the use of Awards based on its judgment. Members should check the said terms and conditions on the use of Awards prior to applications for Awards.
Article 14 Responsibility for Problems in Offerings of Awards
- Once the Awards are received by Members, ANA shall not be responsible for reissuing any of such Awards to its Members for any reason whatever, including loss or theft.
- In case the Awards are not used by the expiration date, ANA shall not be responsible for taking any action to refund Miles that are equivalent to such expired Awards or offer other Awards, except for the refund for unused Awards. Members must check the expiration date of the Awards and use them by the expiration date.
- In case of any failure or inability to offer the Awards, ANA will refund the Miles or reissue the said Awards.
- Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, Members agree, without any objection, that ANA will deal with flight delays, cancellations or any other flight irregularities in using the Flight Awards issued by ANA in the manner stipulated in the conditions of carriage or internal regulations provided by ANA. In case of any flight delay, cancellation or any other flight irregularity in using the Flight Awards issued by Partner Airlines, the Members agree in advance without any objection, that the Partner Airline may not reissue the Awards by transferring the ticket to a subsequent carrier for the same sector or making alternative transportation with another airline available based on their judgment.
- In case any loss or damage (including lost profits) is caused to a Member due to a failure or inability to offer the Awards, ANA shall not be responsible for such loss or damage beyond that set forth in this article.
Article 15 Taxes, User Fees and Incidental Expenses
Members or Designated Users shall pay all taxes, airport fees and any incidental expenses arising from the acquisition and use of Awards. Members or Designated Users must pay all taxes, airport charges and the like needed in issuing Flight Awards in advance.
Article 16 Handling of Submitted Documents
All documents submitted to ANA by Members are not returnable.
Chapter 4 Handling of Personal Information
Chapter 5 Termination of Membership
Article 18 Procedure of Membership Withdrawal
Members can withdraw their membership from the AMC by notifying ANA of their intention. In addition, upon their withdrawal, Members using ANA Cards should give such notice of their intention to the relevant credit card company, and Members using Affiliated Cards should give such notice of their intention to the Participating Program Partners that issued such cards.
Article 19 Cancellation of Membership
If no Miles have accrued for 3 consecutive years with respect to a Member, then ANA may cancel the membership thereof.
Article 20 Prohibited Acts and Membership Disqualification
- Members shall not commit any of the following acts in using the services offered by ANA (including the AMC):
(1) Any act that is contrary to laws and regulations, these Terms and Conditions, the conditions of carriage provided by ANA, or any public policy;
(2) Any act that infringes the rights of ANA, other Members or any third party;
(3) Acquire or attempt to acquire another Member’s ID, password or personal information without obtaining the consent of such Member;
(4) Pretend to be another Member (including, but not limited to, actions to make reservations, or use or cancel Awards by pretending to be another Member);
(5) Acquire or attempt to acquire Miles or Awards dishonestly, or unjustly evade or attempt to evade the redemption of the Miles;
(6) Transfer or attempt to transfer Awards to a third party, or facilitate the transfer of Awards by a third party, with or without consideration;
(7) Submit false information concerning important information in using the services offered by ANA (including the AMC) (including non-submission of information which should have been submitted);
(8) Interfere or attempt to interfere in any way with the operation of the services offered by ANA (including the AMC) by overloading, or improperly accessing or disrupting the normal operation of ANA’s system or network;
(9) Unauthorized or fraudulent use of a credit card at settlement (including submission of a false statement or non-submission of the appropriate information that should have been submitted);
(10) Allow or attempt to allow anyone other than the Designated User to use the Awards;
(11) Relentlessly make demands against ANA that are beyond its legal responsibility;
(12) Engage or attempt to engage in any act using violence, coercion, insults or a significantly intimidating or threatening behavior against the employees of ANA; or
(13) Any other act that ANA considers could significantly damage the trust relationship with ANA.
- ANA reserves the right to cancel the membership of a Member who violates the preceding paragraph.
- With respect to the use of Flight Awards and Upgrade Awards that violate paragraph 1 of this article, ANA reserves the right to cancel the reservation, or refuse boarding or use of all unused Awards (including reservations for unused sectors after commencement of the journey). ANA reserves the right to charge the Member who engaged in the misconduct the applicable regular fare for the sector improperly used (in case of Upgrade Awards, the balance between the regular fare for the said sector after the upgrade and the fare that the customer purchased). In case there is another provision set forth in the conditions of carriage prescribed by ANA in relation to the damages to be claimed against the passenger who engaged in the misconduct, such provision shall prevail.
- If ANA finds that any act falls under paragraph 1 or it determines that there is reasonable suspicion to believe that such act has been committed, then ANA reserves the right to conduct an investigation on matters such as the Member’s actions, account, transactions, Miles’ accumulation, Miles’ usage track and Designated User. If Members are asked to cooperate in this investigation, then they must comply with such request to the reasonable extent possible. Until the problem is solved (including the period until the cancellation of membership is determined pursuant to paragraph 2), ANA may, without need of making any notice to the Member, suspend Miles’ accumulation, Awards’ redemption and the like through the account of such Member. The Members agree without any objection that they may not accumulate Miles and redeem them for Awards through their account until the problem is solved.
Article 21 Death of a Member
In the event of a Member's death, the Miles accumulated by the Member can be passed to a legal heir thereof, to the extent valid as at the completion of the relevant procedures. Only within 6 months after the Member's death, the legal heir will be required to present evidence to ANA that certifies that he/she is entitled to inherit such accrued Miles. If such claim is not made within the period, then the Miles accumulated by the Member will become void.
Article 22 Handling of Miles after Membership Withdrawal
Unless otherwise stipulated in these Terms and Conditions, Members agree without any objection that all the Awards (such as Miles or Sky Coin or iginally held by such Member, and the qualification to enjoy the Diamond Service, Platinum Service or Bronze Service, or reservations of Flight Awards or Upgrade Awards), where a valid AMC qualification is a prerequisite to receive such services, will immediately expire at the time the Member withdraws from the AMC or loses his/her membership, regardless of the reason of the termination of membership.
Article 23 Procedure after Termination of Membership
In the event the membership is terminated due to any cause referred to in these Terms and Conditions, then the Member should immediately return or destroy the Membership Card thereof.
Chapter 6 Others
Article 24 Campaigns for Specific Members
ANA may target specific groups of Members to offer special Bonus Miles, Awards and other campaign benefits depending on the Miles accumulated, location of residence or other conditions for participating in the AMC membership.
Article 25 Discontinuation and Suspension of Services
- In the event of any of the following, ANA may discontinue or temporary suspend the AMC services, in part or in whole, without giving any prior notice to the Members, and Members consent in advance thereto:
(1) When relocation, maintenance, inspection or other works are performed on ANA’s facilities;
(2) When a failure in communication lines, computers and other systems related to the operation of AMC occurs;
(3) When a Member Card is, or is threatened to be, counterfeited or altered;
(4) When there is an unavoidable circumstance to protect the benefit of ANA, Members, Participating Program Partners and other third parties;
(5) The occurrence of a natural disaster, electrical outage and any other event of force majeure; or
(6) If the AMC is discontinued or suspended in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- ANA will exert its best efforts to meet the technical level required at the time of the operation of the AMC to the extent available on a commercially reasonable basis, but does not guarantee that its system and website will be free from any failure. ANA shall not be held responsible for any damages caused to the Member due to system disruption, delay or interruption, data loss, failure in Miles’ usage, or unauthorized access to data, or any other disadvantage or damage suffered by the Member in relation to the AMC resulting from a natural disaster, failure in communication lines, computers, etc.
- Access to the AMC may be unavailable, in whole or in part, due to the telecommunication environment of the location where the AMC is used. ANA shall not be held responsible for any disadvantage or damage caused to the Member therefrom.
Article 26 Program Changes
- ANA reserves the right to change or revise these Terms and Conditions. In the event of changes in these Terms and Conditions, ANA will inform the Members of the content and the effective date of such changes at least 3 months prior to the effective date of the changes.
- ANA reserves the right to set details of the Awards, Miles’ accrual levels and conditions, required Miles to redeem Awards, and other matters based on its judgment, and the said terms and conditions may be changed without giving any prior notice. The said terms and conditions do not constitute a part of these Terms and Conditions.
Article 27 Notification of these Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions and all current information regarding the terms and conditions of the Awards are available on the website of ANA. In case the content of the website differs from the content of the printed documents, then the content of the website shall be treated as the current information.
Article 28 Notification of Termination of the AMC Program
- ANA may freely terminate the AMC program based on its judgment. Except as otherwise provided by ANA, unused Miles accumulated by Members and unused Awards will be canceled at the time of the termination of the AMC program.
- In the event of the termination of the AMC program, ANA will inform the Members at least 3 months in advance.
Article 29 Exclusion of Anti-Social Forces
- Each Member represents and covenants that the Member or his/her Designated User is not or shall not in the future become an organized crime group; a member of an organized crime group; a company affiliated with any organized crime group; a corporate racketeer; a group engaged in criminal activities under the pretext of conducting social or political campaigns, etc.; a crime group specialized in intellectual crimes, etc.; or any other anti-social forces (hereinafter referred to as “Antisocial Forces”).
- If ANA finds it is necessary to run a background check on a Member to determine compliance with the above paragraph, then the said Member shall cooperate with ANA to a reasonable extent.
- In case ANA discovers that a Member belongs to an Antisocial Forces, ANA shall immediately terminate his/her membership and cancel the Awards reservation without giving any notice. ANA shall not be held responsible for any damage caused to the Member due to such termination of membership.
Article 30 Governing Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Japan. All disputes between the Members and ANA in connection with the AMC shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Tokyo Summary Court or the Tokyo District Court as the court of first instance.
These Terms and Conditions shall become effective from April 1, 2019, Japan time.
In the event that there are differences or contradictions between the Japanese version of these Terms and Conditions and its translation, the Japanese version will prevail.