To Contents
  • Menu
  • Reservations
  • My Menu
  • Support


on March 5th, 2024 (JST) current information.
Furthermore, the details under "Visa" and "Passport" are for Japanese nationals.
This information is likely to change suddenly, so please contact the relevant official authority (e.g., embassy) for the latest information.

Immigration and Visa


Not required for tourist visits of 6 months or less. From March 2016, you must obtain an eTA through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.


Your passport must be valid until at least one day following the scheduled date of departure from Canada.

Note for travel to Canada


From March, 2016, you are required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when traveling to Canada by plane. It costs $7 and is valid for up to five years. If your passport expires during that period, it is valid until the expiration date. You can apply for an eTA online, and you must give your passport and credit card information and e-mail address. You should apply as early as possible soon after your plans to travel to Canada have been fixed. The application procedure is only in English and French, but information is also available in Japanese. It is also required when stopping in Canada in transit on your way to another country by plane. Apply for an eTA(The official website of the Government of Canada)

Note for travel to Canada via the United States


When using the visa waiver program to travel to or through (via) the U.S. without a visa by air or sea, you must obtain travel authorization from ESTA online (not possible on your phone). Do not forget this, as you may be refused boarding onto the plane or denied entry into the U.S. if you fail to obtain travel authorization from ESTA before your trip. When you obtain ESTA authorization, it is valid for two years and you can travel to the U.S. multiple times (you do not need to renew it every time you change your schedule or visit somewhere). The final permission for entry is given by the immigration inspector at the first port of entry.
Apply for and obtain travel authorization from ESTA soon after your plans to travel to the U.S. have been fixed. (It is strongly recommended that you complete the procedure at least 72 hours before leaving your country). You can no longer receive instant authorization after application, so it is best to complete the process early. The application can be made by a relative, travel agency (for a fee), or other third party.

ESTA term of validity

Generally 2 years. However, if your passport expires before the authorization term ends, your ESTA authorization also expires. You must also re-apply if your name or passport number changes.

ESTA registration fee

Fee: $14

Changes in the visa waiver program

According to 2015 changes in the visa waiver program and the enactment of the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act, individuals who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 cannot travel to the U.S. using the visa waiver program. Relevant travelers must apply for a visa using the regular method at the American Embassy. For more information, see the American Embassy visa waiver programpage.

  • Visa, passport, and other information is subject to change without notice. Be sure to check with the Embassy, Consulate, or travel agency.


When visiting from Japan, bringing the following items into Canada is prohibited or restricted.

  • a. Live or cooked meat, fruit, vegetables, milk, and other food products
  • b. Plants, processed products made from wood, woodchips, foliage plants, firewood, seeds, and other plants
  • c. Soil or shoes covered in dirt
  • d. Live animals including pets


Bringing in e-cigarettes

Exemption for tobacco sticks is up to 200 sticks, same as regular cigarettes.

For bringing and possession of tax-free cigarettes

  • Alcohol: any one of the following: wine 1.5L, beer 8.5L or other 1.14L
  • Tobacco: any one of the following: 200 cigarettes, pipe tobacco 200g or 50 cigars
  • Gifts: $60 each
  • Alcohol and tobacco products may only brought in if you are 18 or 19 (varies by province) or older for alcohol products or 18 or older for tobacco products.

Time difference and Daylight Saving Time

Time difference

There are 6 time zones in Canada. There is a difference of 4.5 hours between the far-eastern Newfoundland Standard Time and far-western Pacific Standard Time. Newfoundland Standard Time is 3.5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Vancouver is 12.5 hours behind Japan.The time difference will increase by one hour as you cross each time zone moving from east to west. (The time difference to Japan becomes larger.) Daylight saving takes place from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November, when clocks move forward by one hour.



Because of its expansive land area, Pacific coastal areas like Vancouver have a large volume of rain. The cold of the Canadian Rockies is very harsh and a jacket is required even in summer if the weather turns. There is a huge temperature difference between warm and cold in Calgary and other places in the prairies. The area around the Great Lakes has four distinct seasons. Areas further East have cool summers and relatively warmer winters. The Far North region around the Arctic Circle is very cold all year round.

  • Monthly average temperature and precipitation

    The average maximum temperature in Tokyo and Vancouver, The average minimum temperature in Tokyo and Vancouver

    Month The average maximum temperature in Tokyo The average mimimum temperature in Tokyo The average maximum temperature in Vancouver The average mimimum temperature in Vancouver
    Jan. 10℃ 2℃ 6℃ 1℃
    Feb. 10℃ 2℃ 7℃ 3℃
    Mar. 13℃ 5℃ 8℃ 4℃
    Apr. 18℃ 10℃ 11℃ 5℃
    May 23℃ 15℃ 15℃ 9℃
    Jun. 25℃ 18℃ 18℃ 11℃
    Jul. 28℃ 23℃ 20℃ 12℃
    Aug. 31℃ 24℃ 20℃ 13℃
    Sep. 27℃ 21℃ 18℃ 11℃
    Oct. 23℃ 15℃ 13℃ 8℃
    Nov. 17℃ 10℃ 8℃ 4℃
    Dec. 13℃ 5℃ 7℃ 1℃

    The average precipitation in Tokyo and Vancouver

    Month The average precipitation in Tokyo The average precipitation in Vancouver
    Jan. 50mm 160mm
    Feb. 60mm 140mm
    Mar. 110mm 130mm
    Apr. 130mm 80mm
    May 130mm 70mm
    Jun. 160mm 60mm
    Jul. 160mm 40mm
    Aug. 150mm 50mm
    Sep. 210mm 60mm
    Oct. 160mm 110mm
    Nov. 90mm 200mm
    Dec. 40mm 180mm

Currency and Exchange Rate, Tax, Currency exchange, Tip

Currency and Exchange Rate

The currency used is the Canadian Dollar; abbreviated as $ or C$ (CAD). Cents (¢) are used as fractional currency. $1 is¢110 yen (as of March 18, 2024). The five types of notes issued are $5, 10, 20, 50 and 100. New $10 notes were issued in 2018. Both the old notes and new notes are in use. The five types of coins issued are 5, 10, 25 (quarter), $1 (loonie) and $2.


Products, accommodation fees, meals, and services etc. are subject to 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) as well as Provincial Sales Taxes, Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut have only GST. Ontario has only 13% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador, and Nova Scotia have only 15% HST. In Canada, prices for commodities and accommodation are not shown with tax included. Some cities and towns in the different provinces and territories have a separate3.5-8% accommodation tax or additional fee of about $3. These taxes and fees are higher in large cities and tourist areas.


It is customary to leave a tip of approximately 10 to 20% when paying for food at a restaurant or for a taxi. A tip is not required when a service charge is included as part of the bill.

Voltage and plug


110V, 60Hz. Power sockets are almost equivalent to Japan's and uses type A. Since the difference in voltage compared with Japan is only 10 to 20V, most electronic appliances from Japan such as hair dryers and shavers can be plugged in and used as is. Computer related devices can be used without any issues.

Video and DVD

Video and DVD

Canada, like Japan, uses the NTSC standard. Video software brought from Japan can be played smoothly. However, DVDs cannot be played due to the difference in region code (Japan: Region 2, Canada: Region 1).

Blu-ray system

The Blu-ray Disc region code is A in both Japan and Canada, so Canadian media can be played normally on Japanese media players and vice versa.



Postal Charge

When mailing to Japan, airmails including postcards and standard size mails up to 30g are all $2.71. Stamps can be purchased at the post office, as well as at a hotel's front desk and kiosks at a train station, airport or bus depot. The number of days it takes before arrival in Japan differs depending on from where it was mailed, but airmails generally take one to three weeks.

Business Hours

Most post offices are what is called the Postal Outlet inside places such as drugstores, and generally operate from Monday to Friday, between 9:00 to 17:00, Saturday 10:00 to 14:00, and are closed on Sundays. Some places are closed on Saturdays.

Phone Call

How to phone

Telephoning Japan from Canada

When calling Tokyo (03) 1234-5678

dial 011 (International telephone identification number)


81 (Country Code, Japan )


3 (Remove the first 0 for area codes)


1234-5678(Other parties telephone number)

Telephoning Vancouver from Japan

When calling Vancouver (604) 123-4567

International Telephone Company No.

  • 001 (KDDI)*1
  • 0033 (NTT Communications)
  • 0061 (SoftBank)
  • 005345 (au Mobile) *1
  • 009130 (NTT DoCoMo Mobile) *2
  • 0046 (SoftBank Mobile)*3

010 (International Identification No.) *1


1 (Country Code, Canada)


604(Area code)


123-4567 (Other parties telephone number)

  • * does not require 005345.
  • *2.Pre-registration to World Wing is required for NTT DoCoMo. Does not require 009130.
  • *3.Call are possible without dialing 0046 from SoftBank.
  • For the three cell phone carriers, hold down 0 until + appears, then add the country code and the phone number your wish to dial.

Holiday / National holiday

Holiday / National holiday

In addition to national holidays, there are also state established holidays.


  • January 1: New Year's Day
  • March 29: Good Friday*1
  • April 1: Easter Monday*1
  • May 20: Queen Victoria's Birthday*1
  • July 1: National Foundation Day (Canada Day)
  • September 2: Labor Day*1
  • October 14: Thanksgiving Day*1
  • November 11: Remembrance Day
  • December 25: Christmas Day
  • December 26: Boxing Day
  • *1.Movable holidays



The two official languages established by Canada are English and French. English and French are spoken as first languages by approximately 50% and 20% of the population respectively. Some states establish different official languages. Aboriginal languages are established as the official languages in the Far North.

Business hours, etc

Business hours

General business hours are as below. There may be a difference of roughly 30 minutes to 1 hour by store.


Normally from Monday to Friday, between 9:30 to 16:00. Closed on Saturday, Sunday and holidays.

Department Stores and Shops

Monday to Friday between 10:00 to 18:00 (many places are open until 20:00 on Thursdays and Fridays). Open during evenings in areas such as Banff. Shopping centers in suburbs may be open on Sundays.

Liquor Stores

Monday to Saturday, between 9:00 to 18:00. May be open on Sundays in urban areas or during the summer season, and some may be open until around 21:00.

Age Limit

Smoking by persons under 18 years of age, as well as alcohol consumption and casino gambling by persons under 19 years of age (18 for Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec) are prohibited.
In general, rental cars are allowed for persons 25 years of age or over. If under 25 years of age, rent may be denied or may be charged a separate fee.


Smoking and alcohol consumption in public places are fully prohibited, with a few exceptions. Restaurant and bars are all non-smoking.

Related Tags